Australian Bush Tucker Bites presents Infusing Olive Oil with Australian Native Herbs.
One of my favourite ways to use the native herbs from my garden is by infusing them in olive oil and it’s super easy! Today I used Native Thyme (Prostanthera incisa) — it’s perfect for lamb dishes as its flavour has minty notes to complement the thyme flavour.
- A clean bottle or jar
- Olive oil (I use a quality Australian Extra Virgin)
- Enough Native Thyme (or any other aromatic Australian Herb) to fill the bottle or jar
- Wash the herbs
- Stuff them into the bottle or jar, bruising the leaves as you go
- Fill with olive oil
- Set aside for three to four weeks
- Use it just like normal olive oil
I also love Lemon Myrtle Infused Olive Oil in chicken and fish dishes.
This post was originally published on Medium as a part of the “Australian Bush Tucker Bites” series which is also available as an eBook introducing 52 bush food plants from around Australia.