This recipe is a companion piece to my plant profile for Mint species coming soon! A vlog version is also available Garden to Kitchen – Choc-Mint Ice-cream on the Jane Grows Garden Rooms YouTube channel. NEW – short version of the vlog.
1 cup cream
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint (I like a chocolate mint variety the best for this recipe)
150g dark chocolate (remember: the better your chocolate variety, the better the flavour)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon castor sugar
- Gently heat cream and mint in a small pan. Remove from heat JUST BEFORE the mixture boils.
- Add chocolate to the cream mixture and place back on a gentle heat. Stir constantly until chocolate is completely melted into a smooth mixture. REMOVE from heat and allow to cool slightly while you complete the next step.
- Whisk eggs and sugar to a creamy consistency.
- Slowly add warm chocolate mixture through a strainer to remove the mint. (Discard the mint after this step.)
- Whisk until well-combined.
- Allow the mixture to cool (using an ice bath will make this step quicker).
- Freeze in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions,
- OR place in a metal container in the freezer. Remove when ice-cream is just firm around the edges and whisk in a mixing bowl for one minute before replacing in the freezer overnight.
This recipe should keep in an airtight container in the freezer for three weeks, but it never lasts that long in my house!
Wishing you taste sensations from Garden to Kitchen,